- 1 pound fresh, peeled Wild American Shrimp®, deveined and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, about 2 ears
- 1/2 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup small diced poblano pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions (green part only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 2 quarts peanut oil, for frying
Combine the diced shrimp, corn, peppers and green onions in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Season the shrimp mixture with salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the shrimp and vegetables, tossing to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they have reached the medium-stiff peak stage. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the shrimp and vegetable mixture until incorporated. Repeat with remaining egg whites. Keep fritter batter chilled until ready to use (up to 2 hours ahead of time).
Heat the peanut oil in a large, deep pan or fryer to 350° F. Carefully drop rounded tablespoon size scoops of the fritter mix into the preheated oil and fry for approximately 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt, if needed, and serve immediately.
Yield: about 50 fritters